NDC introduces legal team members ahead of the 2020 election petition
Ghana’s largest opposition party, the National Democratic Congress (NDC), has revealed its legal team members ahead of the 2020 election petition at the Supreme Court.
The NDC presidential candidate, John Dramani Mahama has on Wednesday, December 30, 2020 filed a petition at the Supreme Court in objection to the verdict of the 2020 presidential election. The former president’s petition outlined the following pertinent points:
– Electoral Commission violated Article 63(3), 23 and 296. This is a shorthand of saying the EC acted capriciously and unreasonably in declaring the 2nd Respondent (Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo) President-elect when Nana did not get 50% + 1.
– No candidate got 50% + 1.
– The declaration of the President-elect is void.
– An order annulling CI 135. This is the instrument declaring Nana as President-elect.
– An injunction restraining Nana from holding himself out as President-elect.
– A runoff between petitioner and 2nd Respondent.
In relation to this, the NDC has disclosed in a statement signed by their National Secretary, Mr. Johnson Asiedu Nketia, that former president John Dramani Mahama will be addressing the nation at 8 pm on Wednesday December 30, 2020. His address will seek to discuss the subject of the election petition, among other things. The statement displayed a series of names set to represent the NDC legal team in the election petition as follows:
1. Hon. Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong Esq. – Former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
2. Hon. Dr Dominic Akuritinga Ayine Esq.- MP for Bolgatanga East and former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
3. Dr Abdul Baasit Aziz Bamba Esq. – Member of NDC Legal Team.
4. Hon. Alex Segbefia Esq.- Director of International Relations, NDC.
5. Abraham Amaliba Esq. – Director Legal, NDC.
6. Sammy Gyamfi Esq.- National Communications Officer, NDC
7. Kakra Essamuah Esq.- NDC Communications Director
8. Joyce Bawa Mogtari Esq. – Special Aide and Spokesperson of HE John Dramani Mahama.
9. Godwin Edudzi Tamakloe Esq. – Member of NDC legal team.